Saturday, December 22, 2007

Happy Holidays

It's been awhile since my last post. I have some things to update.

First, I finished off the semester. I hated doing the final projects, but they got done. I finished with my 4.0 average in tact. That's primarily due to a professor who gave me a gift. I'm not sure why he did it, but he did and so I still have my 4.0. I'm actually very happy about that. This leaves me with one web development independent study and my thesis. I really have to figure out what I'm going to do for my thesis. I've asked at work if there are any projects that would qualify and there are one or two promising ones so I guess we'll just have to see. For right now, I'm going to try and concentrate on some other things for awhile.

As for the SCA and my fighting....that gets a little more complex. There are no grades to tell you how you are doing so it's difficult at best to figure out how to judge how you are doing. At the beginning of 2007, I was at the best I had ever been. I even won a few tournaments and apparently I somehow manged to inspire a few people at the same time. It was a wonderful feeling. I haven't felt good about my fighting in three or more months. I have slipped. I know my fighting is nowhere near where it was a year ago. That's a tough pill to swallow. There are reasons for this, of course. I was in the toughest semester yet in school. I had started a new job. I didn't have the time to work on it. Use it or lose it, and I have now almost completely lost it. The problem is, I now have to figure out whether or not that actually bothers me. The winter in our Kingdom is usually pretty slow event wise. There aren't a whole lot of tournies and there are less practices than in the warmer months (people generally have trouble finding indoor fighting sites). Because of this, my SCA life has been severely limited. I'm now trying to figure out how much I've missed it (or indeed if I've missed it at all). Hopefully, now that school isn't taking all my time, after the holidays I'll be able to get back to a more regular fighting and practice schedule. It's my hope that then I can find some motivation somewhere to get myself back to where I was last spring and summer.

As added motivation, Her Royal Highness (the current Crown Princess of our Kingdom) asked me last weekend to be a member of her guard. This is a honor for up and coming fighters. It will be the third time that I've been on a Royal Guard (one time as the Captain of the Guard). Each time was fairly motivational, so I'm hoping it helps again. In addition to that, a good friend of mine and I are planning on making the trip to Gulf Wars in Mississippi this year. It's a War that happens in March that is about half the size of the Pennsic War. It's a lot of fun and has a completely different atmosphere from Pennsic. It's much more relaxed. Because we are so far from home, there aren't any expectations when you're down there. We're also trying to motivate a few additional fighters to come down with us. It makes for a great road trip. I really hope we can pull it off.

My wife and I are desperately trying to get ready for the Holidays. The problem is, her work is asking her to come in both days this weekend. On top of that, I'm not feeling well. It is going to make it very difficult for us to get our shopping done for our daughter. We want to make Christmas special for our little girl, but as I've stated in previous posts, we aren't really big on holidays in general so it's kinda foreign for us. We actually got a tree up this year, and my princess is doing really well with it. She hasn't been pulling things off the tree or misbehaving in any way. We had an easier time with her than we did with the cat (although once we brought the water spray bottle back out, the cat came in line pretty quickly).

Anyway, with as often as I don't post, I'm sure this will be my last post before the holidays. So for all two of you who read this thing, have a safe and happy holiday. Enjoy the time with family and friends, and remember to laugh and love and remember. For those of you with blogs, remember to give us some updates. In some cases it's the only contact I have with you.

4 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I just got the annual e-mail today about training for the Midrealm Unbelt Team. THAT ain't happening. I'm focused on the whole "have fun with it" thing, and what comes, comes.

I keep telling you, you're farther along the path than I will ever be at this rate, so just keep it up, and good things will come. Don't worry about what others say, and don't get down on yourself. Fight the good fight, always.

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Dagdamor said...

woohoo, numero deux :D
a road trip, eh? i'm game. lol
sounds cool tech, hope it turns out.
as for christmas, its less about the stuff and more about the people being together. trust me, no amount of tinsel and mistletoe will undo a grumpy person around the holidays *cough*Dad*cough* so just keep it cool and all will be fine :D

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Duamuteffe said...

Congrads on the 4.0! And on your family, and on everything else in your awesome life- and it is awesome, don't forget that #hugs#

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Dagdamor said...

happy new year Tech, a new year :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home