Monday, November 26, 2007

An Update....

Today was a good day. I know that's not very descriptive, but there you have it.

Today my wife and I stood at the same alter where we stood 5 and a half years ago to profess our love and be married, and we baptised our little girl. The service this time was considerably smaller. We only had about 4 couples show up other than us, but they were all close friends and family. The Deacon who performed the ceremony was exceptionally cool (as it turns out, he was a student of my father's from way back). He invited everyone up on the alter to stand around, and participate in, the baptism. It was a beautiful day. The sun was shinning perfectly through several large stained glass windows, and there was enough clear glass to provide natural sunlight as well. The effect was quite simply, stunning. My wife said that she enjoyed holding my daughter and being able to watch my little girl's face in the reflecting waters of the baptismal basin. It was truly a joyous feeling to be standing up there with "my girls".

I still haven't done the end of semester projects. The car has been returned to me after only a single repair (a bad oxygen sensor is what they told me, and as a weird note, my electrical problems were on a 2000 Jeep Cherokee, so maybe it's a problem with the brand). It seems to be running fine now (knock on wood). I've accepted that my house is my home, and although I will want to move, I shouldn't be in a hurry to do it. I will have better results if I work towards it as a goal than if I jump at it without thinking. My fighting, well, what can I say. Sometimes I should listen to my own advice. I have to stop and ask why I play this game. It's not about being knighted (although that would be nice). It's about being the best I can be, while at the same time (and this is the important part) having fun while doing it. There's a great group of people that I fight with. I have fun when I get to play with them. I need to work on getting better, but I shouldn't sacrifice my joy of the fight in order to try and get better (that usually never works out well).

In short (if it's possible for me to be brief), my mood is better. It's not where I want it to be, but it's much better. A day on an alter in colorful and beautiful light with family and friends and love...that will help any bad mood.

3 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah...you have discovered my philosophy of fighting. Took you long enough... :-) Go out and have fun. If the skill comes, it comes. If the recognition comes, it comes. If it doesn't, and you're not having fun, then something is wrong. But if you're having fun, all is right.

Congrats on the baptism, as well!! At our church, they only do baptisms during mass, and they invite the entire congregation to gather around the family and friends gathered at the font, to welcome the new member of the church. It's a nice tradition.

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Duamuteffe said...

Glad you're feeling better #hugs#

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Dagdamor said...

ahah! i knew it was the oxygen sensor, i was actually considering posting that but had to leave, same thing happened on our boxtruck a couple years ago, those things just have terrible reliability, i doubt it was the cherokee setup since the the boxtruck is a chevy, great to hear about the baptism, we have a video of me hitting Meg with a baptismal candle at one of my sisters baptisms :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home