Monday, August 07, 2006

War is upon us

So, if you know me, you know that the "medieval organization" that I belong to is the Society for Creative Anachranism (SCA). By far, the largest event in the SCA is the Great Pennsic War that happens in Butler, PA every August (because that seems like the right time to strap on armor and run around in the sun). Well, here we are in August, and The War is here. This past weekend, I went down to the campground, and setup camp. All I can say is that I am exhausted! After setting up several pavillions and digging a sump hole and generally doing all of the things that one needs to do to setup an encampment, I have blisters on my hands, aches in my back and a sunburn. This will be my 13th Pennsic War. It is now a part of my life. Where else can you find 13,000 screaming maniacs converging on one campground in western PA, 3,000 of which strap on armor and try to beat each other everyday, and drink each other under the table every night.

As sad as this is, my year generally revolves around this little event. I save up my money, my vacation time and all my energy for this two weeks every year. It's tough to leave camp to come home for 4 days to work just waiting to get back to War. I was a little leary of going this year. There's a lot going on in my life. With a new baby on the way, and this being the first year at the new job (seems like it's been forever) and several car repairs that need to happen, perhaps I should've spent my money on those things. However, after being at camp and sitting on my hill at my campsite and looking over the battlefield...

Currently, the battlefield is silent. It's empty. There are the temporary roads of matted down grass from all of the people who parked there Friday night just waiting to get into their temporary home for the next two weeks. Right now though, it's peaceful. There is chaos completely surounding that field. An explosion of activity that started at noon on Saturday. Thousands of people setting up their tents creating their stores. That field is now an oasis of tranquility in the middle of bustling city. As I looked down from my hill, and realized that next week, the largest medieval style recreation battles in the world will happen. There will be cannons, and charges and heroic stands and primal screams. Right now, it's silent. I remember 12 previous years of war. I remember my own charges. I remember where I started. I remember the journey I've taken to get where I am, and I contemplate where I sit today. I realize that I'm happy to be "home".

Perhaps it's silly romanticisim, but it is my escape every year. I have to look at everything that has changed from the previous War. Please understand, it's not that the War itself is all that important, but it acts as a cornerstone to every year. This is the time where I can concretely realize that another year has past. I get to look at what went right, what went wrong and what do I want to do with the year to come. I'm sure everyone has these markers in their year. This one just happens to be mine. Hopefully, I'll have some good stories to tell after next week. I'll see you all on the flip side of my vacation.

May the peace and tranquility of that empty battlefield find each of you in your own ways.

1 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger Duamuteffe said...

On the last day of Camp, when all the kids are leaving, we gather up all free hands and take the horses down to the meadows, which is a massive fenced area of several acres where our jumping field and cross-country course is. There's a gate at the bottom of the mare's field and one across the brook and we open both and lead the head mare across. The horses know what's coming, and when the head mare goes across they all come streaming down the hill and through the gates. We grab all the school horses who have worked all summer and take them through, and all the young horses who aren't old enough to be ridden yet, and any of the horses we keep in work ourselves who need a break. They form a herd and gallop up and down in sheer joy because their work is done and they get to be free again. I always lean on the gate for a long time to watch them race and play until they've run away out of sight.

I'm glad you get to find a little of that, too. #hugs#

 

Post a Comment

<< Home